Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Archer's Bones: little connections in the shop walk

The rain let up over the past few hours. Just now, I saw a peek of blue from behind the clouds. Still, I miss the warmth of Bisbee, my little town in the high desert mountains.

As I was moping about this weekend, waiting for the rain to abate, I found a bit of Bisbee on etsy. Imagine my joy! I'll share it momentarily.

But first: yesterday I went to my cousin's college graduation party. I didn't know most of the people there, despite us being distantly related and having met once or twice when I was much, much younger. It didn't matter that I didn't know them. They're perhaps the most loving people in the world. It was heartening just to be in their presence.

One of the women, whom I did vaguely remember, asked me where I was living now. I said south-east Arizona, right in the corner. I was thinking nobody this far north would have any idea there was a tiny little town called Bisbee just six miles from Mexico. She said, "Oh, near Bisbee?" Ha! That's what I get for assuming! Anyway, she's good friends with some of the people I know. I'll have to mention that to them when I get home.

Six degrees of separation, right? It's all these little connections, you see. They remind us how close we really are to each other. And Bisbee is the hub of my web. It's no surprise that my shop walk has led me right back home. The woman I'm about to introduce you to is, in my opinion, an excellent representative of our town, in her art and in her story. I hope you'll take a moment to look at both.

"Desert People"
by Quenda J. Shults,
whose name means "little connections"

No comments:

Post a Comment